The Suwannee County Tax Collector’s Office is an agent for the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. The office offers a variety of services including issuing Driver Licenses and ID Cards. The following is a list of most of the Driver License Services we provide, with a brief description of requirements. For answers to more specific questions please call us at 386.362.2816.
Driver License Services
- Original Driver License
- Duplicate License and Replacement License
- Suspension Clearances
- Financial Responsibility Clearance
Driver License Tests
- For written tests please call our office for an appointment. Please note: Due to Covid-19, at this time, we are only accepting appointments for Suwannee, Hamilton and Madison County residents. Please call 386.362.2816 for an appointment.
- For first time drivers you will need to make sure you have completed the TLSAE school, you can do so by clicking here
- Driving Skill Test appointments must be scheduled at least one day in advance. Please note: Due to Covid-19, at this time, we are only administering Driving Skills Tests to residents of Suwannee, Hamilton and Madison County residents. Please call 386.362.2816 for an appointment.
- If you are interested in taking the Driving Skill Test, you must provide a vehicle for the Driving Test. The vehicle must have a valid tag registration, proof of Insurance and pass a vehicle inspection before the test is given. The examiner will observe your ability to control the vehicle and how well you obey traffic laws.
- Due to safety concerns for our staff and for our citizens we will not administer driving skills test in extreme weather conditions.
- For Driving Skills Test Appointments, please be on time and no more than 5 minutes late (if more than 5 minutes late you will need to reschedule your appointment). When arriving at the office, you are required to present your learners permit, current auto insurance card and current registration to the clerk prior to the test.
Customers may be eligible to renew their license online; however, the FLHSMV encourages customers without REAL ID compliant driver licenses or ID cards to renew in an office.
Obtaining a Florida ID
The age for obtaining a Florida ID card begins at the age of 5 and is valid for four years through the age of 14. After the age of 14, Florida ID cards are valid for eight years.
For information on what to bring into our office to get your Driver License please visit the What To Bring page of the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website.
For more information on Driver Licenses, please visit the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website.
CDL Medical Card Update
Please visit MyDMV Portal to update your medical card.
Real ID Act
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security REAL ID Act became effective nationwide in 2008, mandating new standards for the issuance of driver licenses and identification cards. Florida began issuing REAL ID-compliant credentials January 1, 2010. New driver licenses and ID cards have a star in the upper right corner of the card, indicating that they are REAL ID-compliant. As part of the REAL ID Act, there are documentation requirements for residents renewing or obtaining a new driver license or ID card. For the first in-office issuance after January 1, 2010, customers must bring original documents that validate their identity, Social Security Number (SSN) and residential address.
Note: In accordance with the REAL ID Act, once a customer provides the required identity documents, they will only need to provide them again if their information changes (e.g., name, residential address). After October 1, 2020, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will only accept driver licenses and ID cards with a star in the upper right corner as proof of identification at airports. Individuals currently seeking access to military bases and most Federal facilities must present REAL ID-compliant identification. A United States passport may also be used in place of a REAL ID-compliant card for official identification.
DUI and IID Programs
Licensed DUI Programs in Florida
Ignition Interlock Programs in Florida IID
Driver Improvement Schools
Please follow this link for definitions and links to acceptable driver improvement schools in Florida.
For Third-Party Florida Road Skills Tests, please visit All Florida Safety Institute, LLC for testing locations, times and appointments.
- Certificate of Address
- Eye Exam
- Medical Reporting Form
- Student Compliance Form
- Handbooks and Manuals