Young Family Driving in Florida

Motorist Services

Onward Motorist Services, Services Grid

All motor vehicles and trailers in the State of Florida must be registered and/or titled. It is the responsibility of the Tax Collector, in the capacity as agent for the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, to provide the necessary services and operations to accomplish this job. The Tax Collector works very closely with this state agency to ensure all transactions are concluded according to state statutes.

Vehicle Identification Numbers

All motor vehicles from out of state, being registered in Florida for the first time must have the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) verified. This includes all automobiles, trucks, pickups, motor homes, motorcycles and trailers weighing 2000 pounds or more. The VIN can be verified by, any law enforcement officer, a Florida notary public, or a motor vehicle dealer. Please print Form 82042 for the VIN verification.

Change of Address

In order to maintain accurate records, and help ensure that each registered owner receives a tag renewal notice, all changes of address must be reported to the Tax Collectors’ Office. The vehicle owner is required to provide their driver license number, in order to facilitate the address change. Renewal notices are mailed as a courtesy service, to help facilitate the renewal process.


Annual license taxes, for the operation of motor vehicles is defined by Florida Statutes, and must be paid at the time of registration and renewal. All fees are subject to change by Legislative Act.

Initial Registration Fee

The first time a license plate is purchased for a motor vehicle, a $225.00 initial registration fee may be imposed. This fee applies to private automobiles, motor homes and trucks weighing less than 5,000 pounds. Some exemptions do apply. Please download Form 82002 to see if you qualify.

Military Rates

Members of the Armed Forces stationed in Florida, but who maintain their legal residence outside of the State of Florida, are classified as non-resident military and are eligible for special registration rates. To qualify for the special rates, Florida law requires that the vehicle owner must submit a copy of their military orders or a current leave & earning statement for review. Proof of insurance is mandatory.

If the vehicle is not titled in Florida, a copy of the out-of-state title is required for an application. The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) must be verified by a Tax Collector employee, Florida notary, motor vehicle dealer, or a state or military law enforcement officer. Form 82042

Regular rates will apply if the non-resident’s status changes. Also, if military orders transfer the owner out of the state of Florida, they are no longer entitled to Florida registration. If the vehicle owner is a Florida resident, the vehicle can be registered in Florida, by signing a military insurance exemption affidavit, furnishing an out-of-state address, and a copy of the military orders, or an affidavit from their commanding officer, confirming their date of assignment. Please download the military packet here and complete.

(WARNING: Military personnel who file for non-resident status on a vehicle will not be eligible to file homestead exemption in the State of Florida. Contact the Suwannee County Property Appraisers’ Office for more information).

Renew Registration by Mail

License plates can be renewed by mail, and returned to the owner. A mail fee of up $2.95 will be charged.

Proof of Insurance

Proof of insurance (binder, policy, or card) from a certified Florida agent or broker is required to purchase and renew a license plate in Florida. The vehicle owner must present to the Tax Collector documentation of Personal Injury Protection (PIP) in the amount of at least $10,000 combined bodily injury liability and property damage liability insurance in the amount of $10,000. Motorcycles, mobile homes and trailers are exempt from the insurance requirement.

On-Line Services

License plates can be renewed on-line. You can visit MyDMV Portal for many services available.