tourist development tax

Tourist Development Tax

Onward Business Services, Services Grid

Who must collect the tax?

Any person (business) who rents or leases any transient accommodations for a period of 6 months or less. This tax applies to hotels, motels, apartment buildings, single or multifamily dwellings, mobile home parks, condominiums, and cottages.

How much is the tax?

3% on gross rental receipts.

Who is exempt?

Any person who has entered into a bona fide written lease for longer than six (6) months in duration for continuous residence.

Any person who has continuously resided for 6 months and has paid the tax imposed for this time shall become exempt on the seventh month and every month thereafter provided he or she continues to reside at the same location.

Anyone who is exempt from paying state sales tax. These include federal government employees and other government agencies (state, county, city, etc.), full-time students, active duty military personnel, churches, and nonprofit organizations that have a sales tax exemption number from the Florida Department of Revenue.

When is the tax due?

The tourist development tax is due to the Tax Collector’s office monthly. It is due on the 1st day of the month following the reporting period and becomes delinquent if not paid or postmarked by the 20th day of the month following the reporting period. All owners/operators must submit a return even if no taxes were collected for the month.

How are owners compensated for collecting the tax?

Owners are entitled to deduct 2.5% of the first $1,200.00 of tax due, or a maximum of $30.00 if the return is paid/postmarked by the 20th day of the month following the reporting period.

What if the tax is delinquent?

If the return and payment are not postmarked by the 20th of the month following the reporting period, the collection allowance is forfeited. In addition penalty and interest are assessed. The penalty is 10% of the tax due for each month or fraction of a month that the return is delinquent. The penalty is a minimum of $10, up to a maximum of 50% of the tax due. The interest rate is variable. You will need to contact the tax collector’s office at 386-362-2816 for the current rate.

When you terminate management of a unit or rental unit

Notify the Tourist Tax Department in writing, on your letterhead the date you terminated, the location of the unit, the owner’s name and current mailing address. The tourist tax account will be updated.

Click Here for the Application for Tourist Development Tax